Key Qualifications and Considerations for the PCS Board of Directors
Role of the Board of Directors:
- Guard the mission of the school: To be a Christian school using the classical model to train students who will impact their culture for Christ.
- Devleop a long-term strategy and work to see this strategy implemented in a way that is consistent with and supportive of the mission.
- Select the Headmaster ("Head"), establish objectives for the Head, and monitor the Head's performance compared to theses objectives.
- Devise ways to secure the necessary resources for operating the school and determine how these funds shall be used.
Requirements for Board Membership:
- Affirm the school's statment of faith.
- Regularly attend and be actively engaged in a local church community, supporting it with his or her time, energy, and resources.
- Subscribe to the school's mission statement.
Expectations of Providence Board Members:
- Make service as a Board Member one of your top two priorities outside of work, family, and church when it comes to giving of your time, talent, and financial resources.
- Pray regularly and earnestly for Providence, not only broadly but also for specific needs of the school.
- Understand the role of the Board of Directors as a policy making body and avoid participation in administration of policy, which is the Headmaster's responsibility.
- Attend board meetings regularly and actively participate on at least one board committee or task force.
- Contribute to the annual fund and other development efforts according to your means.
- Assist in fundraising through introducing prospects to school administrators and visiting donors and prospective donors.
- Serve as a conduit between the school and the larger community, sharing information about the school with the wider community while bringing information and ideas back to the school.
- Help identify qualified new Directors.
- Seek ways to become personally acquainted with faculty and staff.
- Be willing to support the majority decision of the board and work with fellow Directors in a spirit of cooperation.
- Be willing to maintain the confidential nature of Board deliberations and avoid acting as a spokesperson for the Board of Directors unless specifically authorized to do so.
- Visit the school for at least a half-day each year and attend classes in the grammar and upper schools.
- Enhance a personal commitment to continuous learning.
Considerations for the make-up of the Providence Board of Directors:
- Profile against Strategic Plan and Documented Succession Plan
- Maintain Ranking and Term Matrix - by managing Director term expirations so as not to lose too much continuity and institutional knowledge in any one year.
- Ensure the Current Board has diversity and strong representation in the following areas:
I. Strategic Thinkers: Potential to focus on strategic planning, high level visionary thinking
II. Development/Networkers: Potential to connect to donors, have a large network, community influence
III. Unique Thinkers: Potential to see things slightly differently and to present ideas that might be unique and challenging
IV. CCE Understanding: Strong understanding of CCE and its principles, highly protective of mission and its integrity